Green papaya or raw papaya is a very healthy fruit. It can be seved in form of papaya curry or in the form of green papaya chutney, the recipe of which is given below. Green papaya is good for all kind of stomach problems. Due to the medicinal qualities of green papaya it is widely used in many types of medicines. Green papaya is quite sweet in taste, the presence of lime juice in papaya chutney makes the chutney tangy sweet in flavour.
Ingredients for Green Papaya chutney:
1 small Green or Raw Papaya (kaccha papita)
10-15 leaves coriander, finely chopped (Dhaniya patti)
1 table-spoon fresh lime juice (Nimbu)
3-4 green chillies, slit (Hari mirch)
a pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
1/4 t-spoon Jeera,(Cumin)
1/4 t-spoon mustard seeds (rai)
1 table-spoon oil
1 t-spoon sugar
salt to taste
How to make Green Papaya chutney:
- Peel papaya and coarsely grate it.
- Take a medium size pan and heat oil in it. After a minute add cumin and mustard seeds, asafoetida and turn the heat to low. When the mustard starts splutter, add grated papaya and green chillies. Cook for 3-4 mins. on low heat.
- Then add the remaining ingredients, stir well and cook papaya chutney untill papaya gets the blen of all the spices and it gets tender. Usually it takes 10 mins. Stir occasionally. Turn off the heat
- Let the Green Papaya chutney gets cool at room temperature. Then transfer it to the glass bowl.
- Serve papaya chutney with pulao or sabzi roti.