Channa Curry is a very popular Indian recipe to be served with Chapathi or pulao. It is also known as chole (Chhole) masala curry or Chickpea Curry. Kabuli chana should be preferred to make Channa Curry. If served with rice (commonly in Kerala) the quantity of curry can be increased as per your taste.
Ingredients for Channa (Chole) Curry :
250 gms. Chickpeas (Chana / Chole)
1 t-spoon ginger paste (Adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
10-15 coriander leaves, chopped (dhaniya patti)
4 table-spoon oil
1 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1 cinnamon stick
1 tej patta
3-4 peppercorn (Khadi kali mirch)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon chana masala powder
1/2 t-spoon coriander (pisa dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric (haldi)
1/2 t-spoon cumin (jeera)
How to make Channa (Chole) Curry :
- Keep chana in water for 6 hours before cooking it. Then cook it in a cooker by adding a pinch of salt to it. Cook until it gets soft. Don't throw the water after cooking it.
- Boil potatoes in a cooker and cut them into small cubes. Make a puree of tomato and onion separately using a blender.
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and put oil in it. When it starts heating up put the heat to low, add onion paste, peppercorn, tej patta and cinnamon stick to it, stir it. Cook on low-medium heat until it gets golden brown. Stir occasionally so that it should not burnt from the bottom.
- Then, add tomato, ginger and garlic paste. Cook further on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala, chana masala, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and stir it well together for a couple of minutes.
- Add potatoes and chana along with the water in which you have boiled chana. Along with that add 1/2 cup of water more and cook until you get the desired thick curry, add some more water if needed. Close it with a lid while cooking.
- Sprinkle Channa (Chole) Curry with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapati or pulao.