Ingredients for Mixed Dal :
1/4 cup Toor Dal (Arhar / Yellow Dal )
1/4 cup whole Urad dal (Black gram lentils)
1/4 cup Split Red Masoor dal (split red lentils)
1/4 cup Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
8-10 cloves garlic, chopped (lahsun)
1 t-spoon ginger paste (Adrak)
2 green chillies, chopped
2 table-spoon oil
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
4 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
1/4 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Mixed Dal :
- Mix all dals and wash 3-4 times with water, soak for 1 hour.
- Pressure cook Mixed dal with 4 cup water, turmeric and a pinch of salt, cook it over medium-high flame for about 20 mins. or until Dal gets tender.
- Now, for tempering, take a large frying pan and heat oil in it.
- After a minute add cumin seeds and chopped green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs. Then, add onion, ginger paste, garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring frequently. Add, chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook further for 2-3 mins.
- Now you need to add mixed dal, Red Chilli Powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt to the frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 8-10 minutes to achieve the desired consistent dal. Add little water if needed.
- Garnish Mix Dal with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.